Ayla is car obsessed and has recently been finding ‘a’ for Ayla’s in books! I actually made this activity up ages ago, I’ve bought it out again and it’s still going strong.
Suitable for: 2 years +
Set up: 20 minutes
- Black paper (1 piece per letter)
- White pen
- Laminator and pouches
- cars to drive on the road
The set up
On each piece of paper draw out the letters you want to use, I spelt out Ayla’s name but you could do SATPIN or any other combination your working on. Cut out the letters and use the white pen to draw lines on your road. Pop each letter in a laminating pouch and laminate it. Cut around the letters again and you are ready to go.
Making the Most out of the activity
Ayla started rolling the cards along the letters straight away! We took a look at the letters and sounded them out as we went along, she correctly recognised the ‘a’, from the most part have them out so your little one can explore them and play with the letters in their own way.
- Pushing the cars along the letters builds knowledge around letter formation
- Having your child’s name within their environment encourages Name recognition
- Exploring how the cars move and following the road promotes hand-eye-coordination